When you are planning a Vaginal Birth After Caesarean, it’s easy to want to do absolutely everything you can - this time around. I see women posting often in online forums asking for opinions on whether it’s really worth it to hire a Doula and/or an independent midwife.
I'm not here to speak for other doulas.. but the first thing I usually do is sit down and review the first birth that ended in a Caesarean Birth the first time. To do this you need to obtain a copy of your birth records from your care provider/hospital. Often but not always, despite thinking they were making optimum choices, parents who were in fact making the best choices on the information they had available, the truth is that those choices were incongruent with an easy natural birth.
They may have done a course or two, or chosen a care provider that they trusted and expected that in itself would provide protection from the birth they didn’t want. You don’t know what you don’t know. They may have been given insufficient time, insufficient movement in labour or insufficient choice. Sometimes a Caesarean Birth was very necessary.
So here are five reasons why you need a doula for your VBAC:
1. There’s often a lot of fear. Fear can be buried deep after your first birth so you don’t have to think about it. It can be a survival mechanism after birth with a newborn to care for. The problem is if you don’t deal with it in pregnancy it can affect your next labour and birth.
2. There comes a point in a VBAC pregnancy when the doubt creeps in. Can I really do this? Should I try? Can I cope with disappointment if this ends up in surgery again? You need the support of someone who works with women having Vaginal Births After Caesarean to help you through the doubt. You can do this!
3. Without support, when you have a care provider appointment after 36 weeks and they want to book you in for a repeat Caesarean already “just in case”.
When you are told the risks of a trial of labour, and how risky this is for your baby.
When this.. When that.. When care providers can and do make statements such as 'We strongly suggest you book a repeat Caesarean Section, because the longer we leave you the risk of blah blah increases'.
you NEED someone to help you sort through the facts and the real risks.
4. Using techniques such as those found in Spinning Babies while in labour can make a huge difference. Get a birth doula who can help you with this in labour. This is more important than how big the baby measures or which way they are facing.
5. You need to have a plan at the start... to make sure that Vaginal Birth After Caesarean is for your family.. and once you have made the decision you need someone with you every step of the way.
If you would like to have a Free Chat about your upcoming VBAC in Perth, Western Australia contact me now. Don't wait until later in pregnancy when the pressure is greater and your resolve may have been weakened. Get support now!